Sunday, May 23, 2010

Second picture from class at Laguna Gloria




This is the second and last picture that I painted during my illustration class. I haven't had much time to paint and draw since the class finished, so I still haven't finished it, but I'm hoping to do so over the next week.
(1st drawing) As you can see, my sketches start with stick figures. Since I'm trying to get the posing and position down I don't spend much time on these.
(2nd drawing) I use the stick figure as my guidelines and I build on top of it. I also played with making the skirt shorter, but I really like the effect of the fuller, longer skirt. It acts as a parachute and makes it feel like she is gliding down to the bed.
(3rd drawing) It's still a work in progress, but I like the richness of the dress and the contrast between it and the wall. I also like the shading on the socks. Right now the dress is the star of the picture, so I want to develop the shading on the little girl so that she pops as much as the dress. Then, I want to add a pattern on the bedspread, and finish the side table and poster.

2 comments:

  1. Angel, I'm not sure if I can think up some other books like "Princesses are not Quiters" The Fancy Nancy books have a similar line style--but I don't think they have much illustration story going on. If you can get a hold of a copy of one of Sven Norquist's "Pettson and Findus" books those are great for little things going on in the illustrations. (they are Swedish) The Skippy Jon Jones books are good for action illustrations. Hope that helps :)

    I like your your girl jumping into bed. The color adds to the festive feel. I assume since it isn't finished that you will do more with the face, because is it hard to read the face at the moment in the color illo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice colour and movement. It's like she floating down from the sky.

    ReplyDelete